Thursday, October 30, 2008

Apple-Cranberry Crisp

After dinner tonight, I opened the fridge and found nothing for dessert. The day before, I had taken down a pie crust from the freezer (I had made it previously) for apple pie. While I had the apples, I wasn't feeling pie.

But what would really hit the spot, I thought, is apple crisp. I began to search through my books to find a recipe. I finally came across one, but decided to alter it based on the ingredients I had at home. But still, it was missing something.

Cranberries! Of course! I rescued the bag of cranberries I bought at the store and had thrown in the freezer. I added them to the mix. Now I had too much apple-cranberry crisp for a large baking dish, so I got out the tiny ramekins and filled five of them up to.

I was a little nervous after I had let it cool -- after all, I had never altered a recipe that much before, but with school behind me and my confidence just high enough, I took my first bite -- delicious!

Give it a try. :)

Apple-Cranberry Crisp
4 pounds of apples, peeled and sliced into chunks (l like to use sweet apples like McIntosh or Cortland)
12 oz cranberries (1 bag)
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 sticks of butter
12 oz of dark brown sugar (light will work too)
cinnamon (generous sprinkling -- or at least 2 T)
12 oz pastry flour (but AP works to0)

Take your peeled apple chunks, cranberries and sugar and mix slightly. Put in your large baking tray. (Or divide into your ramekins-- but you'll need many ramekins.)

Take butter and cut into small pieces. Add that with brown sugar, cinnamon and flour and use your hands to make crumbly. Sprinkle this on top of your apples and cranberry mix.

Bake in 350 degree oven --25 minutes for ramekins, 40 minutes for a baking tray
OR
until the top is brown and the apples are tender.

Enjoy :)

No comments: