After six long weeks, I was able to finally bake off a successful sourdough tonight!
Back in school, when we covered breads, we ran out of time and didn't have a chance to do a sourdough starter. Six weeks ago I asked my chef if I could start one in class and take care of it at home. So I've been feeding it for six weeks now. A week ago I tried to bake one off and didn't have any luck. Turns out I had let the dough rise where there was a draft-- hence, an ugly, dense loaf. This time I set the dough up on top of my fridge so it could catch the steady heat of the appliance. And it worked! It's still too hot to cut, and not as high as I had hoped, but it is definitely an improvement! And oh! The taste! I had a nibble of the piece that broke off when I tried to dislodge it from the hot stone. It has that sweet, sour taste I love. I plan on keeping this starter going-- hopefully it will last until I get a bake shop someday!
I'm so excited. :)