Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NaNoWriMo & Blog Feature

For those following the little ticker at the above right, I'm participating in the National Novel Writing Month fun. Despite pink sticky notes exclaiming "NaNoWriMo!" all over my work and home computers, I'm feeling the writing block coming on pretty strong already.

To be frank - I have no plot. I am writing aimlessly with what comes to mind. My last 500 words were poetry. Which felt great to write and came so easily to me that I wonder if I shouldn't finish off the remaining 41,378 words that way.

Whoa.

For those unfamiliar with this project, the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words between November 1 and 30. Those who have succeeded recommending not rereading and editing your work thus far. Just keep going.

That's what Rob keeps reminding me.

"Just get the words out."

So -- here's my excerpt from my poetry blitz earlier today.

~

How do you live without a mother?

How do you live without the sound of her voice?

The one who you once took for granted- what do you do when she is gone?

You can go through her things

Finger the sweater that used to keep her warm

Use the coffee mug that she refilled every day.

Who do you go to for advice?

Who do you go to when you need to hear her words?

How do you find her in your every day life?

Is she the monarch that sways in the breeze?

Is she the bird that calls as the morning sun rises?

Is she part of the ancient trees and wisdom of the forest?

I search for her everyday

On the cold, dark drive home

On the trip to the store

Finding gifts she would like for Christmas – and then realizing she isn’t there to enjoy them

How do you go on living without a mother?

The one who fought to keep you alive

Who sacrificed so much

How do you ever repay her?

I think you can find her in love

When you nurture a plant on your windowsill

Keeping the porch light on for those who are lost

Appreciating all of the good things

That she made possible for you

Even when she left you behind.

~

It's a bit rough and I already see things that could be tweaked, but in "ignore it until later fashion," I'm going to leave it and focus on getting the remaing 41,000+ words out first.


P.S.
Just found out my lovebirds were featured over on the POE blog! Check it out!

4 comments:

Smile Moon Woodworks said...

That sure hit a nerve. I lost my mom a few years ago, but it still feels like only a couple weeks ago. I miss being able to seek her advice, and like you said - finding the perfect gift for her then realizing I won't be able to see the look on her face when she opens it is one of the worst feelings.

Keep going with your exercise. I look forward to reading more...

Anonymous said...

"How do you ever repay her?"

By doing everything in your power to
B E (C O M E) H A P P Y!!!

(... you know what I'm saying? ;o)))

Keep on keepin' on and keep your dear mom's memories alive!

Big Hugs,
Nicky

Frau Zinnie said...

Thanks for the feedback-- I've found it really hard so far to put my 23 years of knowing her into words.

Allie said...

Goodness, Jen. Your writing takes my breath away. you have written down so much of what I have thought. Keep going. you are doing wonderfully. :), allie