Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9-11


Driving to work this morning, I was reminded that today was September 11. While listening to the coverage on my local NPR station, I found tears swelling in my eyes.

Listening to people talk about this day seven years ago brings all the memories rushing back. I remember it was a beautiful day- I remember leaving for class hearing about a "freak plane accident in the World Trade Towers" and coming back an hour and a half later to find the towers were gone. The rest of the day was a fog- trying to reconnect with family and friends and trying to absorb what had happened.

The photo above has special meaning to me because it reminds me of a more carefree time. It was taken during a summer day in 1996, while I was in Manhattan and pretending to be a tourist for the day ("pretending" since I lived a bourough away). I remember walking past the towers, looking up with my point and shoot nikon, snapping this one photo, and running off to catch the next attraction.

I luckily did not lose anyone I knew in the attack, but I still collectively mourn with other native New Yorkers-- with others around the nation. Sometimes I fear that over time, the intensity of this attack will be forgotten, sort of in the way that I can't fully understand the ramifications of the attack on Pearl Harbor and how that effected Americans at that time.

But today, I will remember, along with countless others.

No comments: